When should I get insurance? | Chantel Ray Real Estate

To buy or sell a home,  call  757-717-1003.

When should I get insurance?


As soon as a contract is signed by all parties, the buyer should begin shopping for homeowner’s insurance, which will cover general hazards, such as fire, theft, and vandalism. The first year’s insurance premium will be collected at closing, so you typically do not have to pay the insurance premium prior to closing. If the property is in a flood zone that requires flood insurance, you will need an elevation certificate prepared by a land surveyor in order for the insurance company to establish a price for the flood insurance policy.